Monday, September 10, 2007

Mama, open the door!!!!!

Whenever I read the blogs of each of my "grown" children now, and experience just a little bit of their times of joy and times of frustration while rearing their own children, it always brings back some rare, unique, funny, exasperating, or embarrassing experience that each one of them managed to share with me through the years. The time that comes immediately to mind is the comical -- and scary story-- of "Brian and the Elevator".

I have had a recent request to tell the story about Brian and the elevator. It was a long time ago when he was about 2 years old. I had gone to the Mall to do some shopping before it was time to pick up Melissa from kindergarten. I was really in a hurry, but Brian saw the elevator that you could "see" out of, and of couse, wanted to ride it. Once we got on, someone on the very top floor (at that time there was a 3rd floor with eating tables set up)must have pushed the button because the elevator went straight to the top, the doors opened, surprising Brian, and when the lady got on, he shot off right past everyone. Before I could push my way to the front of the passengers, the doors closed, separating me and Brian. I was PETRIFIED! All I could do was ride back down on the elevator, as there were no stairs to get to the upper deck, but, of course, the elevator stopped on each floor to take on passengers, and I started thinking I might never get back up to the 3rd floor. When the doors shut and Brian realized his Mama was not with him, he became frightened and began banging on the elevator doors and calling "Mama" at the top of his lungs! (You can imagine how that echoed in the mall.) Needless to say, once I finally did get back up to him, we had a very serious understanding about why he needed to hold onto my hand, and not go running out elevator doors all alone! This is just one example of life with Brian. I have other good stories I could tell you some other time -- just always be prepared if you are the mother of a boy.
September 10, 2007 7:32 PM

2 comments:

Kristi said...

I had forgotten that the Macon Mall elevator had a 3rd floor! But, I do remember that. I remember Brian putting Coke in his cornflakes for breakfast when I spent the night with Melissa... I'm just waiting for the funny stories I'll have with Brooks...

Liz said...

That sounds just like something Luke would do, except he would probably just keep going instead of waiting up for me. I have to keep a close eye on that one!!!